Monday, March 26, 2007

Chillin out, Maxin', Relaxin' All Cool

Some days, the teens who come into the library make me want to tear out my hair. Other days, they just make me want to laugh hysterically. Today I spent a lot of time fluctuating between those two states.

We have one kid who owes $53 on his library card. Ordinarily, people have to pay 25% of their fines before using the computers, but with kids and teens, we often set up payment plans with them instead of making them pay the entire amount at once. So this kid only needs to pay $2.00 to use the computers. A good deal, right?

So why do I have to remind this kid every time I see him about our deal? I think it's because he's trying to see if smoke will actually come out of my ears after the 12th time I tell him that, yes, he has to pay $2.00 every time he comes in. And no, I won't loan him $2.00, and neither will anyone on my staff, and if he continues to ask the other patrons, I'll have to ask him to leave.

At the other end of the spectrum, two of our regulars decided to break into a thrilling dance routine as we were attempting to herd them out of the building at closing time. It sort of looked like the Carlton Dance from "Fresh Prince of Bel Air," and it was accompanied by an off-key rendition of the "Fresh Prince" theme song. So I got to finish my night with a nice laugh.

Of course, now the "Fresh Prince" song is stuck in my head.

No comments: